If you or someone you know is facing criminal charges in Illinois, it’s normal to feel worried and have questions.
The legal system can seem complicated, but knowing how criminal defense works in Illinois can help. The Law Office of Van-Lear P. Eckert, PC., aims to explain the basics of criminal defense clearly.
When someone is arrested, the first thing that happens is they are taken to a police station. Here, they are booked, which means their personal information and details about the charges are recorded. After this, there are a few key steps:
- The First Court Appearance: This is usually called an arraignment. The person charged (called the defendant) is told what the charges are and asked how they plead (guilty, not guilty, or no contest).
- Setting Bail: Bail is money paid to the court to ensure the defendant returns for their court dates. The judge decides if bail is needed and how much it should be.
- Getting a Lawyer: It’s important for the defendant to have a lawyer. The court will provide a public defender if they can’t afford one.
Everyone has rights in the legal system. Some key rights include:
- The Right to Remain Silent: You don’t have to talk to the police or answer questions without a lawyer.
- The Right to a Lawyer: You have the right to have a lawyer help you.
- The Right to a Fair Trial: You can have a trial where a judge or a jury looks at the evidence and decides if you are guilty or not.
A criminal defense lawyer has a few important jobs:
- Talking to the Court for You: Your lawyer speaks on your behalf in court.
- Looking at the Evidence: They check the police’s evidence to ensure it’s fair and legal.
- Helping You Understand Your Choices: They explain your options, like going to trial or making a deal with the prosecutor.
- Defending Your Rights: They ensure your rights are protected throughout the process.
Our team understands how scary it can be to face criminal charges. We’re here to help by:
- Listening to Your Story: We want to know what happened from your point of view.
- Explaining Things Simply: We talk about your case in a way that’s easy to understand.
- Supporting You in Court: We’re there with you in court every step of the way.
Facing criminal charges can feel overwhelming, but you don’t have to go through it alone. The Law Office of Van-Lear P. Eckert, P.C. is here to help guide and support you. Please contact us if you or someone you know needs help with a criminal case, please reach out to us.