There’s never a good time for a motor vehicle accident, but if you find yourself in this situation in Belleville it’s critical to take the right steps. Your immediate attention should go toward stabilizing your health and treating your injuries. This will lead you to file an insurance claim as a means of seeking compensation.
Making a car insurance claim sounds simple, especially if you have a solid relationship with your agent. However, don’t let your good relationship trick you into thinking that the insurance company is on your side.
Here are some of the many car insurance claim mistakes to avoid after a crash:
- Saying too much: Yes, you need to file a claim as soon as possible, but that doesn’t mean you should say everything that’s on your mind. It’s okay to keep quiet until you review your policy and seek legal guidance.
- Don’t provide a written or recorded statement: This goes along with the tip above. If you do this before you’re ready, you could say something that harms your ability to receive the compensation due to you.
- Don’t accept the first offer: Your car insurance company is likely to offer you less than what’s owed, hoping you take it and close your claim. If you make this mistake, there’s no going back.
- Don’t sign anything: If you’re asked to sign a waiver or release, review it in great detail before doing so. Also, have your attorney check it out, as you don’t want to sign anything that takes away some or all of your legal rights.
- Don’t let your insurance company take advantage of you: A car insurance policy is a contract. You pay for coverage every month, so your insurer is obligated to provide the benefits outlined in the policy.
By avoiding these car insurance claim mistakes after a crash, you’ll find yourself in better position to secure the compensation that’s due to you.
Car insurance companies are known for taking advantage of customers, so don’t hesitate to slow down and take the claims process one step at a time. This is often the best way to ensure that you’re protecting your legal rights.
Visit our website for more information on all things pertaining to motor vehicle accidents, including the best methods for securing compensation.